The Climate Change Executive Order (19-37) also created the Governor’s Advisory Council on Climate Change. The advisory council will work together with the Climate Change Subcabinet to identify opportunities for, and barriers to, policies and strategies to reduce GHG emissions and increase climate resiliency.
The advisory council meets on a regular basis. Details and meeting materials are available here: Advisory council meetings.
Advisory council members
The advisory council is comprised of up to 15 members appointed by the Governor, and includes civic and community leaders, individuals with experience in business, agriculture, conservation, environmental protection, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Khalif Bashir Ahmed, Jennie-O Turkey Store
- Mike Birkeland, Minnesota Forest Industries and Minnesota Timber Producers Association
- Christopher Clark, Xcel Energy, Minnesota, South Dakota, and North Dakota
- Eric Dayton, Askov Finlayson
- Wayne Dupuis, Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
- Marco Hernandez, Communities Organizing Latinx Power and Action (COPAL) and Minnesota Council on Latino Affairs
- Lucinda Johnson, Ph.D., Natural Resources Research Institute, University of Minnesota, Duluth
- Alexandra Klass, J.D., University of Minnesota Law School
- Patrick Lunemann, Lunemann Farms
- Ann Mulholland, Nature Conservancy
- Micah Niermann, M.D., Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare
- Kevin Pranis, Laborers’ International Union of North America, Great Lakes
- Hilda Martinez Salgado, Environment and Climate Consultant
- Anne Schwagerl, Prairie Point Farms
- Dave Sunderman, BENCO Electric Cooperative
Members were announced on September 22, 2020, and all member service dates are effective September 28, 2020 - April 2, 2023.